Belonging to the hound group, the beagle can be tracked down all the way to the 16th century. These smaller dogs were bred for hunting, their main prey being rabbits, foxes and other small animals. Beagles are scent hounds that use ground-scenting which helps make them excellent hunting dogs. They were also used as "Gun Dogs", to help flush game out of bushes and tall grass for hunters.
There are two different sizes for beagles based on their height- 13-15 inches and 13 inches or less. They can weigh between 20-30lbs and are solid, sturdy dogs. Beagles can have a range of different colors such as lemon, red and white or tricolor. They have long floppy ears that are to help with finding their scent. Beagles also have those distinctive expressive hound eyes.
Beagles are known to have a friendly, curious, happy and easy-going temperament. An even temper and gentle disposition they were bred in packs and are incredibly social and fantastic family dogs. They are very intelligent but can be stubborn if not trained properly. Beagles also are high energy and need proper exercise to not become bored.
Beagles are usually healthy dogs with a lifespan of 10-15 years. They have short, water-resistant coats with medium to high shedding that require basic grooming. Due to their floppy ears, they can be prone to ear infections, so a regular ear cleaning routine should be in place. Beagles also have a tendency to want to eat anything they can, so keeping their weight steady is important.
- Pure bred Beagles will always have white in their tails. It could be all white or a few hairs.
- They are the eighth most popular dog breed by registrations worldwide.
- Beagles are loud! They will bark or bay when hearing something or picking up a scent, which would tell the hunter they have found something.
- The famous Snoopy was in fact a Beagle.
- They have been around for thousands of years.
- Beagles used to be miniature, fitting in the palms of you hand.
- The first Queen Elizabeth loved beagles.
- They are employed by the government. The US Department of Homeland Security uses beagles to sniff luggage at airports to search for unwanted contraband.
With their easy-going personalities, low maintenance grooming/care and incredible intelligence, beagles are generally great pets. They are happy-go-lucky dogs ready to work and are overall great for many families.
|Breed Group:||United Kingdom|
|Life span:||12-15 years|
|Height:||Male: 14-16 inches (36-41 cm)|
Female: 13-15 inches (33-38 cm)
Male: 22-25 pounds (10-11 kg)
Female: 20-23 pounds (9-10 kg)
|Colors:||Black and Tan|
|Litter Size:||2-14 puppies, average 7|
|Puppy Price:||Average $500 - $800 USD|